Monday, April 13, 2009

long time no see

HI FAMILY(in Amanda voice)...so it's been a while...and i'm bored between classes so i thought i would update you all on my life...

recent accomplishments/changes in my life:
-switched to a new deodorant
-heard my nephew say "ben" for the first time..i couldn't help but smile
-i bought a hat
-stayed up all night one night working on a psychology project, which a made a 98 on
-i bought 100 popsicles
-i have decided to grow my hair back out...i think
-i saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico
-i have recently decided that i would like to be a firefighter

i have three weeks of school left and i can't wait for them to go by...i'm almost tired of school all together..this is where this new fondness of being a firefighter came into play. i think i would be a good thing to consider making a career out of..good pay..good benefits..excitement..what else can you ask for

i have recently heard my aunt lori has gone skydiving...never in a million years would i have guessed she'd go before i would..much less go at all..this is a big accomplishment for the woodruff kids i must say

i am thinking it is time for another mass email amongst our family..i am getting bored in booneville and i need something to laugh at besides the views/opinions/pessimistic ways of people here. i think it is pitiful how people in booneville jump to conclusions..as soon as the first sign of trouble shows..it's all over..even with something as simple as a baseketball/football/baseball game...i can be sitting on the couch with my dad and debra and as soon as one team jumps out and has a big league..it's automatically over to debra..dad is a little different..he knows how things work and believes that some unlikely things can happen..but her..

speaking of ole pop...i saw the other day how much he and i looked alike when he was younger..it was very odd..he got out one of his ole yearbooks to show me somebody or something..then got started looking at his basketball picture and said "yea we kinda look alike here"..his senior basketball picture and my 8th/9th grade pictures (back when i was little thinner)...look exactly alike..

well i guess i'm going to get off here and go to football practice...so much fun..

peace

9 comments:

  1. good stuff, started strong and then fizzled into normal posting. I should include more humor into my post.

    I am proud that you wrote. The changes in your life part is good to know. At least as a firefighter you can shoot hoops outside the place for hours on end. It's a good way to stay in shape too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know right?..i actually looked up degrees about firefighting...only thing i could find is a fire science degree from university of Pheonix and colleges along those sorts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I love hearing about life decisions by blog. I guess this is good though - or I might not hear them at all. this is weird because your grandfather and your cousin are firefighters. I would email Mike and ask him what kind of degree would be the best if this is what you want to do. I still think you need a degree (of course I do). You can do volunteer firefighting while ou are getting your degree. I guess we can have this conversation later? I have geiko living with me....Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend disagree about needing a degree or not. As I currently work in the employment field, I find if you have a certified skill, there is no need for a "degree." That being said, your best bet would be to begin with a voluntary fire department, also you might want to look at a couple dispatch positions for part time work. A lot of fire departments look to hire from within first. Next you need to research fire academies, a lot of them have physical requirements so I suggest taking your big ass to the gym more.

    The biggest thing you will need to do is research. Find out how much fire fighters make, espically in an area or location you are willing to live. A Dallas, TX firefighter pay will be different than Booneville, MS pay, but I know you understand that. From this number, decide if that something you can live on. If so, go after it fast. From this, you can always increase your education as you go a long in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay guys, and gal, I know I am not family, but can't help but love you all as (a) I love Kim, (b) I know all of you, (c) I love Tip and Shadow and going out there for the last 3 days to feed them and play with them, and (d) I think anyone who can put thoughts and feelings into words and know the difference is amazing.

    Firefighting is an awesome (if dangerous) career. My next-door-neighbor in Texas was a firefighter, and did just downright fine for himself and his family, not to mention was just an awesome neighbor :) It was so fun to watch movies about firefighting with him and he would give us the real scoop. :)

    Seriously, I think what is most important is to find your passion and follow it. Tonight after grad class, one of the students asked, "how is Ben" and then as we talked about your blogs and how I have come to appreciate David's humor and depth, she said, "I have always known that about David."

    What does that mean? Our life forms behind us. If you have the power to fuel your passion, it will all work out. Coach K is correct--how much you make and how demanding it is depends on where you are.

    Okay--just my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so ben? what are you thoughts? you know you have me support in whatever you do - the education thing is important to me as I see how it affects people to not have a college degree - we can talk about that when i get home but do the research and check out the volunteer work or maybe even summer work as a dispatcher or something...and yes, you better be at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lest I get into deep trouble with Kim, let me clarify I am not saying you do not need a degree. I think the evidence is out there that favors a degree is helpful. Firefighting is a career that requires knowledge, skill, and the ability to apply technology and critical thinking. You have to take a lot of tests--to get into the career and to advance in it. That being said, I am weighing out of further comments on the family business other than to occasionally let you know how Tip and Shadow are doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not saying that education is not important either. You can see the region I am in now and see what happens with lack of education. Your daily life will be stronger if not only for a better deeper conversation. Yet, I also see vast amounts of undergrad "degrees" that people have and are becoming wasteful. We are at different times in the world as an employment shift is taking place. A ceritified trait at a lower cost can easily make for just as a successful life. You factor in cost of school, not only tution but time lost in revenue then you begin to develop a different prospective on overall success for developing positive income and or wealth. If you want to take out the wealth factor, then it is simply about doing what you love. If you doing what you love does include an actual degree, then this thought becomes pointless. I do not suggest developingly a learned trait simply through the workforce rather you do need to get an accreditted certificate. You need something that will transfer throught out the US, where ever you may travel to live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yea this is really a fork in my road...either stay with the math education/coaching career..or go on a different path by taking the firefighting road...i know that either way i'm going to stay in college and get some sort of degree..because what happenes if i do the firefighting thing and get hurt somehow...no education=screwed...i DO have a while to think about this..couple years at the least...in the meantime i'll still be getting my playbook and such together incase the football road is taken...and will still be trying to stay active

    ReplyDelete